Sunday, December 29, 2019

Livestock Projects

Livestock will start October 24 from 5:30 to 7:30.  
Other dates are in the Google Calendar and will be posted.

Topics might include:

  • Definition of livestock, purpose, exploration of species in general.
  • Housing, fencing, structure type discussions for different types of livestock.  Who can live and share meals with whom, who needs to be separate and for what reasons.
  • Reproduction of different types of livestock.  Care of young, family names.
  • Health and veterinary concerns.
  • Other topics related to member goals!

Please let me know if you are joining us for livestock so I can have records ready.

17 comments:

  1. I think we should have Livestock meetings - William

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would be fun to have Livestock meetings because we would be able to learn about a lot of different animals. - Luke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my goodness, I hope this is fake, but it's funny anyway... https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-can-i-tell-if-my-hen-is-pregnant.1332905/?utm_source=threadloom&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ed27&utm_content=iss37#post-21767764

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to go high tech and get some nest box pads like these. https://www.cutlersupply.com/products/lnp-plastic-nest-pads Does anyone else want any and we'll share in the shipping?

    I think I'm going to try to do roll out nest boxes as well since my ladies make such messes in their boxes.  That will be  a fun building project.  I'm trying to figure out how to have them roll to the outside of the coop, but not freeze since they will be up against an outside wall.  Heat tape?  Any thoughts? https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-rollout-nest-design-picture-heavy-edited-1-21.287684/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nest pads are ordered for the Lawson Crew and myself.

      Delete
  5. I just built a 35 gallon chicken feeder. First test is today. Here's where I got the idea... https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/feed-health/how-to-build-an-automatic-chicken-feeder/?mqsc=E4071817&utm_source=WhatCountsEmail&utm_medium=CSN%20ListCountryside%20From%20the%20Coop&utm_campaign=FTC%207-22-19

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, after Iseult, Wicky, & Tristan rolled the feeder around the back yard and broke off all the fittings, I decided to move it inside the coop after I glued it back together. I haven't filled it over the fittings yet, but the birds have certainly figured out how to eat out of it. So, it is working so far. I'll let everyone know once I have filled it up full.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I put 2 full bags, or 100lbs of layer pellets in the feeder today, 10/18. I put a bag in... some time after that last post. I'm not really sure how long it lasted. There was actually room for 1 more bag, but I was too tired to slog it through the mud out to the coop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chelsea really loves Livestock meetings and projects

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anyone have any interest in dissection of various mammal organs? We don't have to do them all, and we don't have to do the same, we could share as a group, or in small groups.

    Eye - $3.00
    Kidney - $4.95
    Heart - $5.50
    Brain - $14.95
    Shipping & handling would be extra, of course, depending on how much we buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would want to do the heart or brain. -Nora

      Delete
  10. Check out this page of funny/interesting/sometimes gross chicken facts! https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/cluckmazing-facts-new-facts-daily.1341244/?utm_source=threadloom&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ed27&utm_content=iss48#post-21985429

    ReplyDelete
  11. For anyone who has a rooster, this article has some suggestions to limit crowing. I don't love this source, but all information can be useful.
    https://morningchores.com/rooster-crowing/

    ReplyDelete
  12. How are your farms looking? Do you think you can make a table top exhibit out of it? Keep it in mind... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.