Monday, June 1, 2020

Poultry Finale 2020!


Poultry Finale 2020

Our club poultry show is planned!  Bonnie Lord will judge F&S, costume will be scored by popular vote, we'll have a skillathon based on the learning we did this summer, a record book evaluation, and a presentation contest (either poster or PPT).  FH 4-H members, Adaline, Morgan, and Ryker will hopefully join us as well.

Everyone is automatically entered in all parts of the show, recognition will be given for each category, and overall ribbons will be given out for combined success.    We will fill out the registration form at our meeting 9/3.  We will also discuss all of the following at our 9/3 meeting, but please! check out these links ahead of time.

Check out the Fitting & Showmanship scorecard to see where you should put your best efforts.  You must have a 2020 VT 4-H Poultry Approval Form to participate in F&S.  To learn how to give your poultry a bath, check out this YouTube video!

The HH Record book evaluation form is linked here so you know what to expect, and how to improve your score by working ahead of time.

Evaluation Forms for Posters is on the UVM 4-H website, and we'll use the old UVM 4-H PowerPoint WebPage evaluation form for those.  With the revised UVM 4-H Achievement expectations, presentations submitted at the club show will count towards higher levels of recognition.

The page we will use to track all of the skillathon answers, and the category placings can be viewed ahead of time as well.

Bring all of your suggestions and questions about the show and these forms to the 9/3 meeting and we'll discuss them.

29 comments:

  1. Here is a useful article on embryology, incubating and hatching your own eggs. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/egg-failure-to-hatch-diagnosing-incubation-problems.67011/?utm_content=iss59&utm_campaign=ed27&utm_source=threadloom&utm_medium=email

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know if this belongs in poultry or Food & Nutrition, so how about both!
    https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2020/03/5-simple-ingredients-10-delicious.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. You won't believe some of these coops! Since we've been staying home more, and it's getting light out, I've been doing some renovations. Some in the barn, some in the coop, and some in the house. This might be a perfect time to do some upgrading! What would you like to change about your coop? Make a blueprint (or at least a sketch), make a materials list, and talk to your parents! https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/9-structures-you-wont-believe-are-chicken-coops.74392/?utm_content=iss66&utm_campaign=ed27&utm_source=threadloom&utm_medium=email

    ReplyDelete
  4. The goals that were shared with me by way of this blog, and the meeting. Feel free to reply below and add more!
    ~ How to get hens to lay where you want.
    ~ What to do if your bird gets hurt.
    ~ How eggs are made, and about weird eggs like double yolks.
    ~ Teach my bird more tricks.
    ~ How to get colored eggs (we covered a bit of this already)
    ~ Breeding chickens.
    ~ Sizes of birds.
    ~ Types of chickens.
    ~ How to teach my bird to be calm at the fair.
    Any more?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's a video blip about starting new layer chicks (and ducklings) off right. http://www.scoopfromthecoop.com/feeding-chick-starter/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nutrenapoultryblog+%28The+Scoop+from+the+Coop%29

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you getting ducklings or chicks? Take a photo of your brooder when it is ready to go, and post it to the HH photos page at: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPUVuZmQJ7qwm5k6jKcqwfbV_Gr_T2F2WO_qyz2cYZ2mni5Jwmh0WGcyFXN-JH-aQ?key=OWptOHlKMDNIdDNvazJUYlhDRUFzLWtPVTlsRUFR Then, comment below, what you did to get it ready, and how long it took. I'm doing my duckling brooder (probably both of them) this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I uploaded the picture of my 2 brooders, duckling and chick. I still need to cover the wall next to the duckling brooder... It took me (with a little help from Paul) about 45 minutes to get them set up, because we are exhausted! We try to improve something every year, this year we added a multi-height light attachment for the duckling box. I'll also be using a new watering system for them. I cleaned the boxes, put down the paper, then the shavings and hay, and put the elevated platforms for the feeders and waterers, then checked the lights.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks fun! Build a chicken swing! Great for agility training too! https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/coops/make-a-chicken-swing/?utm_source=Countryside+Master&utm_campaign=9c76231c31-FTC+5-14-20&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_90c3e5631e-9c76231c31-73443531

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oreo (black + white) Peeps (lightest one) Biscuit (middle one) they are doing great! There weight is...
    Biscuit:5/15, 35 g.,5/16, 1.30 oz 5/17, 1.50 oz!
    Oreo:5/15, 25 g., 5/16, 1.50 oz, 5/17 1.70 oz!
    Peeps: 5/15, 44 g., 5/16, 1.50 oz, 5/17, 2.00 oz!
    Biscuit is very feisty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you are incubating eggs, check out this article on assisting chicks that appear to b stuck when hatching. Begin by knowing that it takes a REALLY long time for chicks to actually hatch. Read all the article, the safety warnings, etc. You can either save or kill a healthy chick when assisting them to hatch.

    https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/?utm_content=iss72&utm_campaign=ed27&utm_source=threadloom&utm_medium=email

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feed my 3 chicks 3 grapes everyday and they love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw the picture of how you get your chicks outside, very creative! It's a fabulous photo too, with how the hole frames the chick. That is worthy of a photography entry (if you took it, Nora). I can lend you some fence and posts if you want to build a small play-yard. I'm moving my ducklings out to be near the ducks, they don't need the heat lamp any more, then the chicks get to go outside to the toddler yard!

      Delete
  12. Does working with and handling poultry make you feel good? Check out this article. https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/chickens-101/therapy-chickens-combat-isolation-loneliness/?utm_source=Countryside+Master&utm_campaign=77a2892213-FTC+6%2F5%2F20&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_90c3e5631e-77a2892213-73443531

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi everyone,

    Please click on the link below to play my Chicken Kahoot. Let me know if it doesn't work. This is the first time I have done this.

    Thanks,
    Ryker
    https://kahoot.it/challenge/07880770?challenge-id=9aee45bb-eafa-42dc-a271-08ca0f3d86a9_1590058067557

    ReplyDelete
  14. We built a swing and they HATE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. In the incubator, three did not make it, but four think will make it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Who else has pullets getting ready to move to the big girl coop?

    I'm getting ready to start integrating my pullets into the main flock. It's going to be a bit of a process... I'm going to move the main chicken coop into the barn. I've got extra stalls, the roof doesn't leak, there is power readily available -- I might as well!

    About a month + ago, I had moved the hens to one of the sheds. It was about twice as large as the coop. It also had a great place to use as a run since I thought I had a lot of egg hiding going on. Turns out, they were not hiding eggs, they just aren't laying many. Makes me wonder why. I'm suspecting mites again, so I'll treat for that before I move them over to the barn.

    Now, since I'm getting ready to integrate the pullets, I needed to have the hens out where they would interact with the pullets. Keeping them confined to the run wasn't doing it (nor was it taking care of bugs, or any of the other benefits of free ranging chickens!) I was going through more commercial feed as well. So, I've started letting the hens out of the shed/coop and run when I get home from work. They get 3 to 4 hours of free range time that way at least.

    So, once I convert 2 stalls into a coop, with an outside automatic door, 30-ish feet of roosting bars, rollout nest boxes, 20 gallon waterer and 35 gallon feeder, I'll move in the hens that I am pretty sure are laying. I'll leave the questionable hens in the shed/coop. After the hens who move to the barn/coop are laying again, then I'll move the pullets in using "ninja moves". All this should take me about 3 weeks, which, will be just about the time the pullets are getting on towards 16 weeks, which is when they can transition to layer feed. Also, it will be right about the time AFTER quarantine if they had gone to the CVE. So, even though it feels like I'm way behind schedule, it should be perfect.

    How are you planning to move your pullets? Reply below!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Check out this blog posting on Eggs from Shelburne Farms

    https://shelburnefarms.org/blog-family/all-about-eggs

    ReplyDelete
  18. This post was soooo much fun!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-behavior-the-ignorant-gals-guide-to-things-no-sane-person-would-tell-you-about-chickens.64567/?utm_content=iss84&utm_campaign=ed27&utm_source=threadloom&utm_medium=email

    ReplyDelete
  19. Check this contest out -- best/worst molt pictures! https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/official-byc-contest-post-your-best-worst-chicken-molt-pictures-2020.1407979/?utm_content=iss86&utm_campaign=ed27&utm_source=threadloom&utm_medium=email

    ReplyDelete
  20. Chick Weighing and graphing challenge https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ck4168mfOQfqtgcpcsxIYPqv7H9xY67GiyKWuv6-2QM/edit?usp=sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a link to where T is/did build the graph for you to reference... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uAH-TCTLFHTRB3o93mW9xHEnhm4voEbrBgtZZ_IQOfM/edit#gid=0

      Delete
  21. good article on feeds/feeding choices not just about one brand, talks about several but more importantly, nutrients!

    https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/feed-health/chicken-feed-does-brand-matter/#comment-11016

    ReplyDelete
  22. I got new chickens they are cute (I also got Biscuit) there is Cheeto, Pringle, Big Beef, (I don’t approve the name but I can’t change it) Pepper Corn, R.B.G., Buffalo, and a BISCUIT!!!!!!! I named Cheeto, and Pringle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Nora! I am so glad you are enjoying your new flock.

      Delete
  23. This article is about preserving eggs to use later (up to 18 months later!) as if they were freshly laid! I haven't tried it yet...

    https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/eggs-meat/water-glassing-eggs-for-long-term-storage/?utm_source=Countryside+Master&utm_campaign=64f1fd7f07-FTC+10%2F7%2F20&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_90c3e5631e-64f1fd7f07-73443531

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.