Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Sheep project!

Sheep, are you interested?  We can learn hands-on with Taya and if you have sheep of your own, you can bring one to meetings!

Post your goals below!







13 comments:

  1. I am very excited for sheep and hope others have the same interest as me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do a google search on "futon sheep hay feeder"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chelsea, Looks like you are the only HH 4-H'er interested in sheep this year. Understandable when we can't get together, I suppose. If you would like to do an independent project, your dad and I are quite willing to help, I'm sure. Let me know and I'll send you a record and other things to get started, and please, share your goals, of course! If you can't go to... visit the sheep you were caring for, please feel free to come over and work with my two. They both need to learn to lead, and the light colored one still needs to be shorn, but we can barely get near her, and then, really only when we corner her! We can't figure out what she likes for treats, so we can't even bribe her into liking us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheep record and learning book in the cooler on my porch for you. Look for the sticky notes on some pages to give basic directions. Please post your goals so your Leader can provide some educational programming for you! (Even if it's your Dad!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!
    My goals:
    Sheep nail cutting
    Yearly medicine (like garlic and other)

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have your sheep come yet, Chelsea? I need to learn about trimming sheep hooves as well. My light colored sheep did get shorn, which is good, but now it's hooves.

      Do you have a plan for garlic? How is it used in sheep? Can you teach me? I got 30+ pounds of garlic for my horse, only to find out he won't eat it... I used it last summer, but I think he was letting his buddy eat his grain! So, now I have a lot extra (have you ever seen 30 pounds of granulated garlic?!). I could use it with the chickens, but I have to figure out a way to do that with the ginormous feeder I have, If it's good for sheep (and it's good for everyone else, of course it's good for sheep!), I could do that as well. Problem is, mine don't get grain, just the mineral supplement. Garlic attracts water and gets sticky in humidity which is why it's a challenge for me for both poultry and sheep. If you need granulated garlic, let me know!

      Delete
  6. So, Lettice, my light colored sheep, has been kind of wheezing on and off, since we got her. She never was "sick", lethargic, unwilling to eat, or anything else. She has been running and playing and seeming "normal" except for the throat noises. Well, it's gotten worse in the last couple of weeks, so I had the vet out. She's on three different medications, Penicillin - a general antibiotic, Nuflor - a respiratory tract infection treatment, and Flunixine - a pain reliever. The vet is thinking that it might be an obstruction as a response to an old infection. He confirmed she doesn't have an infection now. We're treating her as if she does as the first step.

    I have noticed she is loosing weight, and I think that is due to difficulty swallowing. This is the sheep that doesn't like any treats I have tried, but she liked the grain that I got from Chelsea. So, my challenge is, how to get grain into her without her choking on it! I tried giving her some as treats like I do with Taya and the animal crackers, but she can only eat a few nibbles before she can't swallow it...

    So many things can go wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, the antibiotics didn't work. Next it's in to the vet for an endoscope and radiographs... :-(

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately, Lettice had a mass growing in her larynx that was closing off her breathing. The x-rays were interesting, but very saddening. We had to put her down, a trip to Tufts Veterinary and surgery were not in her best interest. Sheep do not do well with anesthesia, and Babydolls are even more sensitive. It was the kinder decision, but awful. Now, I'm looking for a friend for Taya, but Babydolls are hard to find.

      Delete
  7. Thank you, Chelsea, for teaching us about trimming sheep hooves. I checked my girls and they aren't bad, just a little of the hoof wall starting to fold over, so I will figure out what tool to use, and take care of that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You won't believe this! Sheep on a trampoline! Thanks, Paul
    https://youtu.be/FwwIYdB_wic

    ReplyDelete
  9. After I'm done with poultry renovations, I'm going to build a sheep blocking (or trimming) stand!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chelsea, now that you've successfully assisted a lambing, here's a great article! https://www.iamcountryside.com/sheep/avoid-lambing-problems-with-this-first-aid-contents-checklist/?utm_source=Countryside+Master&utm_campaign=daa4910b1f-LV+4%2F10%2F21&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_90c3e5631e-daa4910b1f-73443531&mc_cid=daa4910b1f&mc_eid=06af617b29

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.