Saturday, March 27, 2021

Poultry - Sheep - Beef - other animals

 We're focusing on Poultry and Sheep -- the animals our 4-H'ers have.





For animal projects, it's always good to have goals for these areas.  Obviously you can have more than one for each area!  Following the goal areas are topics we've covered or are planning to cover

  • hands-on - we'll keep doing Fitting & Showmanship and Agility Training
  • care/housing - we're going to talk predators :-(
  • health - we talked about enrichments, and we'll cover health and 1st aid
  • anatomy (body)  - We've done skeletons & bones
  • nutrition - We've done body condition scoring
  • equipment - we built "enrichments" for our friends, we'll be making nest-box curtains for poultry kids and  a sheep grooming apron OR sheep show sheet. for our shepherds
  • general - we talked business plans!
Dates are currently set for:  
  • May 6,13, & 20
  • June 3 & 10
  • July 1 & 22
  • August 5, 19
  • August 26 poultry baths (probably at home, but maybe here)
  • August 29 CVE poultry show and 4-H Day!


19 comments:

  1. I don't really want to do it this year...
    Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think everyone knows that I would love to work on sheep and something I have not really got to learn about is the different types of set ups people have for sheep I think it would be quite interesting!

    Also sheep Heath is always something I need more knowledge on :) -Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think everyone knows that I would love to work on sheep and something I have not really got to learn about is the different types of set ups people have for sheep I think it would be quite interesting!

    Also sheep Heath is always something I need more knowledge on :) -Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  4. My cat chewed on my pasta chicken... and kept chewing on it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. My chicks are doing great they have the dustbath and the lawn piece set up! Plus I know which one is not ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome. Our chicks are enjoying their dust bath and grass as well. Did you end up with an extra bird, or one that was wrong?

      Delete
  6. Yes, did anyone order (or has) a chick with pale blonde feathers and white wings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, Favorelles are yellow chicks have 5 toes and feathered legs, well, Green Queens can as well!

      So, you should have your Salmons, then the odd ball can come back. Are you missing a bird, or did you just have an extra?

      Mine have started hopping UP, they can get to the tops of the feeder and waterer, they got a log today to jump up on.

      Delete
  7. Same! One tried to fly. Some of our chicks had big crops so we gave them bread drowned in olive oil then we squeezed some of it out and put it in there, we’re still waiting to see what happens. I learned this from 4H guy 05 on YouTube. I recommend them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, they should have big crops from eating. Chicks should really only have chick food, so be very, very careful. A good idea with all information is to look and see if you get similar information from several different sources. If you are sure they have impacted crops, do they all? That would be very odd, one maybe, sure, but not all of them. Unless they aren't drinking enough water for some reason. Let me know how everything works out!

      Delete
  8. Ok cool but they’ve been big for a while

    ReplyDelete
  9. My chicks are causing a ruckus! So, I kicked them out of the house! Of course I've got 10 chicks, and I've got a heated outside brooder. So, this week goal temperature is 85 degrees, and it's that without the heated brooder! They ventured to the door to peek out... None were brave enough to step outside yet.

    Taya got sheared today. She's not a tumblewool any longer! She looks like a sheep! A very, very fat sheep. Oops. I read this article on wool (not hair) sheep that you don't have to shear quite the same way, they roo! https://morningchores.com/rooing-sheep/

    Be sure to bring your folder to this week's meeting on WEDNESDAY, June 9. Then, on Thursday, July 1, you can bring your sheep and your chicks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think ill make to many of them so I don' think all make to many of them so I don't think ill participate in it, harper.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Check out this article from 7Days Nest Notes paper about chicken coops that have sprung up due to the pandemic.
    Some of them are very stylish!

    https://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/chicken-keepers-design-stylish-functional-coops-for-their-flocks/Content?oid=33203029

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a neat article from the Fresh Eggs Daily Blog about eggs from all types of farmyard birds, including emu!
    https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2015/01/duck-duck-goose-chicken-quail-emu-egg.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. About chicken predators.
    https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2012/01/weasels-and-foxes-and-hawksoh-my.html

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.