Saturday, April 9, 2022

Poultry and Livestock

It's time once again for Poultry and Livestock.


So, we've got our chicks in our brooders, and it's time to start learning for real!


Do you want to learn about any other types of livestock, besides poultry?  Comment below (with your name!).  (Sheepses?)!  And, please add some goals for the other livestock you are interested in.

As always, with animal projects, try to come up with one goal each for health, caring, nutrition, parts, handling, equipment, and then general knowledge.

Check the calendar for dates.  We're scheduled to meet May 26, but I hear that June 2 is a school event for some, so comment below and let us know what is going on in your lives!

We need to be very careful about Avian Influenza, but right now, the new chicks should be old and feathered enough to come to the late June meeting.  We'll talk as a group about how we feel about the risks involved


Tell me if you need to borrow a carrier to bring your birds back and forth to the meetings.  

Chelsea at Sheep Camp 2019?
Harper and bird 2021
  
Check out this link, it's funny!

25 comments:

  1. Gabe: 1. To learn how to feed them 2. To learn how to take care of chickens 3. How to tell if there is a chick in an egg.
    Izzy: Learn about chicken 1. Nutrition, 2. Health, 3. Handling
    Claire: 1 learn how to handle chickens, 2. How to keep chickens healthy, 3. Learn about chicken nutrition. I also want to learn about goats and sheep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm working on learning for those goals!

      Delete
  2. Chicks are ordered (2 different hatcheries again) and should all be here the same day -- I hope!

    Avian Influenza has been found in wild birds in Vermont. We may have to rethink how we do our meetings. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to change anything either, but, I also don't want to have to put down my entire flock. If someone gets Avian Influenza it is a requirement to do so. I'm even thinking of confining my hens to a run this summer. :-(

      Delete
    2. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

      Delete
  3. James - 1. General chicken care 2. How to tell the varieties apart 3. proper nutrition for chickens
    Claire - 1. How to handle chickens 2. proper nutrition for chickens 3. how to care for chickens in the winter
    Lucas - 1. How to handle chickens 2. How to train chickens to not attack you 3. How to safely collect and store eggs

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1-learn how to treat chicken illnesses better
    2-teach them how to do tricks
    3-teach them how to be calmer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O.K., Nora. Any illnesses in particular you have had to treat that you would like to know more about?

      Delete
  5. 1.know more about chickens. 2.handel chickens better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, Nick. Is there any topic of chickens in particular you want to learn more about? Their bodies, housing, caring, feeding???

      Delete
  6. Ben and Elizabeth are not sure exactly what they want for goals. I would think any learning would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. gabby- I want to tell the difference between a rooster and a hen. 2 I want to know how to help them if they are injured or sick. 3 which place inside or outside of our house would be suitable for them :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Genevieve, for sharing this really interesting article on how fox help control Lyme disease. https://vtdigger.org/2022/05/09/jennifer-zwerling-the-red-fox-is-a-key-to-combating-lyme-disease%ef%bf%bc/

    ReplyDelete
  9. VT Agency of Agriculture article on AI and other things poultry. https://mailchi.mp/6a9e4b18df4f/a-newsletter-from-vts-food-safety-and-consumer-protection-team-working-around-the-state

    ReplyDelete
  10. Read to your chicks, or lambs, or puppies, or kittens, your fish probably won't care...

    Sit with your friend on your lap in a safe space and read out loud to them! They will hear your voice, feel your breathing, and learn who you are. The quieter and more still you can sit, the better your friend will like it. That is one of the best ways for your friend to know that you are safety, and they don't have to fight you.

    Cheers!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've just ordered 25 meat birds. What do you all think about helping raise some to donate to the food shelf? Does anyone else want meat birds to raise here as part of the group? I can add to the order by Sunday night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben and Lizzie are happy to help raise the meat birds.

      Delete
  12. My ducklings escaped from their play yard Saturday! I think they got help, a chicken was inside and they were out -- the hen wanted the baby food! I'm guessing it was about 30 minutes between when I last saw them, and when we started looking. Somehow, they went all the way down to the road, across the road, and ended up in the little development under a car. That's like 1/2 a mile through really rough terrain, or longer if they stayed on the roads/driveways! 4 of us looked for an hour, looking in the fields, under bushes, trees, etc. Finally gave up thinking they were really gone. 3 hours later one of those neighbors showed up with them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey all! Bring your member card, as well as your chicks, ducks, and lambs to the meeting! :-) Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Again, bring your member card if you did not last time! Any thoughts for a new agility obstacle or two? Share your ideas here so I can get materials together and we'll build it next meeting. Please be sure you are filling in your record as well. This project is 1/2 over and we haven't done records at a meeting in a loooonnnnggg time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. If we're still doing it maybe a staircase they have to go up, but it goes around in a circle

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.