Thursday, January 6, 2022

Chick order!

Go to the Murray McMurray website and look at chicks!  In comments below, list the chick(s) you are ordering this year and the criteria you selected to choose that or those bird(s).  Please give me your 1st and 2nd choice.  Send your choices by Saturday night so I can order on Sunday!

This is what I know about who is ordering what chicks - If I have something incorrect, just let me know!  Here is a link to my organizing document if you want the details.

If you are going to play with chicks that will eventually live at my farm, I might negotiate with you what breeds we get...  I want Better or Best egg production, cold hardy and some particulars in color eggs and color chickens, but we can bargain!

Liam - 2

Nick - 1

Nora - 1

Ben - 1 (will live at Amanda's)

Lizzy - 1 (will live at Amanda's)

Niggel family - 6

ClaireR - 1

Gabe - 1

Izzy - 1

Harper - 6 to 10

Gabby - not getting new birds for home flock, but would like to brood and show some of Amanda's

Grey family - ?

21 comments:

  1. Claire R. 1st choice: Silkie Bantam~because they are friendly and cold-hardy. 2nd choice: Blue-laced Wyandotte~friendly, cold tolerant, beautiful.
    Izzy 1st choice: Brahma~cold hardy, and friendly
    2nd choice: Cochin~friendly
    Gabe 1st choice: Plymouth Rock~gentle and good layers
    2nd choice: Silkie~cool looking
    Frank will help with his other Aunt’s chicks residing at the Raleys’, so he will not need a chick. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silkies are pretty much gone, unfortunately. How does Gabe feel about a Barred Rock (just different color) I think the Plymouth are out of stock. I will check more thoroughly.

      Delete
    2. no Blue Laced, so I got Golden, I got Gabe a Partridge Rock (and one for myself as well I thought they were so pretty. Thanks for pointing them out!)

      Delete
  2. Claire, James and Lucas Niggel 1st choice: Dark Brahmas
    2nd choice: Australorps because they are cold tolerant good egg layers and cute.
    There was some miscommunication as we do not currently have chickens but are looking to build a coop in the spring and begin keeping this year.
    Claire is interested in showing at CVE, the boys are undecided at this point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fixed my chart! You can get all different birds and they will get along just fine. The decision to show needs to be made in July, so there is time still.

      Delete
  3. Here are Ben and Lizzy's first and second choices:

    Ben
    (1) Chocolate Orpington
    (2) New Hampshires

    Elizabeth
    (1) White Orpington
    (2) Red Star

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why did you choose these? I think we can get these, at least the 2nd choices.

      Delete
  4. Gabby was interested in
    1) Golden Polish good layers but likes warmer climates (also because its "showey and the name can be polish like nail polish)

    2) Blue Silkie (or any silkie) as they are really nice temperment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent an e-mail since it was very long. Probably no Silkies left, and we had bad luck with a Polish last year. Great thinking though!

      Delete
    2. we sent you a message back. we can keep the birds if it makes things easier. we agreed on either Brahma, Partridge rock, Rhode island red, red star, amber star all good.

      Delete
    3. If you aren't going to get at least 3, you probably don't want to keep them. I've found adding fewer they don't have "friends" and tend to get beat to snot! I'm happy for Gabby to chose something more fun if she wants and we can get it.

      Delete
  5. 2) blue Cochin ~ cold hardy, gentle, calm

    1) Columbian wyandotte ~ cold hardy, pretty, good comb type, friendly

    3) partridge Cochin ~ same as blue Cochin but different colors

    ReplyDelete
  6. 4 Faverolles, plus...
    Nick first - dark brahama
    Second - Partridge cochin (as long as Nora isn't getting one too)
    Third - buff cochin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He wants birds that are very pretty and kind and fluffy

      Delete
  7. My 1st choice is Welsummer.
    My 2nd choice is Cuckoo Marans.

    ATTRIBUTES
    Best Egg Layers
    Tolerates Cold

    EGG COLOR
    Dark Brown

    EGG SIZE
    Medium
    Large
    Extra Large

    EGG PRODUCTION
    Good
    Better
    Best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got both a Welsummer, a Marans, and some Marans hybrids. I love the chocolate eggs, but they do take a bit longer to lay each egg since it takes a while to get the dark color. More like 4 eggs per week instead of 5 or 6, but worth it in the egg basket!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.